Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My mind is exposed...

Let me be completely honest. I have recently finished the book 'feminine appeal' by Carolyn Mahaney and have just begun 'Shepherding a Child's Heart' by Tedd Tripp. That's not the part I wanted to be honest about. In what I have read in these two books I have been 'slapped' many many times. Have you ever had a God-directed realization in an area that called for complete change of heart, if not action? I had seven of those moments as I read through Mahaney's Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother and am so very, very thankful that she was gutsy enough to challenge the popular view of a woman's role in the home. Whenever we, as Christian's, get sidetracked by life we have only to return to the absolute truth of scripture to be renewed, re-focused, and challenged. 'Feminine Appeal' has challenged me in mountainously huge ways...is mountainously a word?
I just began 'Shepherding a Child's Heart' and have been not as much challenged but encouraged by Tripp's Godly view of my role as a parent. It's very easy to succumb to the delicious (and seemingly easy) parenting methods available in our culture, but again, scriptural truth must prevail. We are accountable to God for how we raise our precious children. My baby girl is almost ten months old. I know in the blink of an eye she will be a year old, then a teen, then off to college and maybe someday married. It is my fervent prayer that God will bless Paul and I with the wisdom to glorify Him in our parenting and through our family unit.
I encourage you to read one, or both, of these challenging books. If you have read them, I'd love for you to share what you learned from them. I am currently trying to apply all the wisdom these authors have shared to my own heart, and life. I'll keep you updated on the progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment