Friday, March 20, 2009

Serpentine Says What?

Tuesday night was a success! Sometimes I wonder how my dog turned out so great with all my training blunders. Two years ago, before pregnancy and life with baby, Titus and I took a class that worked on a set of jumps called a serpentine. A serpentine is a row of jumps that the dog has to jump away on the first, jump back towards you on the second, and jump away again on the third. It's incredibly complicated when you count in the handlers movements, placement, and don't forget the dogs will, attention span, and experience. What did my little four year old pup do? He sailed through it like he'd been doing it every day since we first learned it. He made me look great!

Another great development in my agility career is that my weave poles have finally arrived! Weave poles are the constant battle of any agility enthusiast. The great thing about novice class (beginners) is that you can attempt the weave pole set as many times as you desire and as long as you go through them one time you can qualify (assuming you hit all your contacts, don't take a wrong jump, come in under time, etc.). Will we be trial ready by April? If we find a way to work them at least 5 times a week, we stand a chance. Titus is fast enough to make up for my mistakes, smart enough to figure out I mean 'teeter' when I say something else (probably has more to do with my body language than an actually mastery of English), and nice enough to smother me with kisses after a run I completely messed up. We'll do alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment