Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Same Song, Second Verse...

Post ultrasound #2: Our baby already has markers for Down Syndrome...again. Lillian was given multiple ultrasounds throughout my first pregnancy in order to determine if she had Down Syndrome or not. We endured 'counseling' in which the professionals discussed all the possible diagnostic testing that was available to us; we opted to have zero done. It seems many medical professionals are not able to understand, or simply think we are morally archaic simpletons, when we refuse testing. When we let the nurse know at this recent ultrasound appointment that we wouldn't be continuing with any more 'tests' on myself or the baby, she seemed almost panicked, and had her supervisor come in to speak with us. The supervisor then showed our baby photos to her boss, who called my doctor, and suggested we have 'counseling' about all the testing they could do for us. I must confess I felt angry when they even mentioned possible 'termination' of my baby as a reason to get further testing. Both Paul and I were emphatic that we wanted our baby anyway the Lord put him or her together... I think they felt we were too uninformed to make such a decision. So, if you're of a mind or heart, we would love for you to remember us and our precious baby-in-the-making to our Lord. It seems so silly to worry over this when I've been reading about God's amazing miracles. God is good no matter the outcome. He is powerful enough to heal our baby in less than a moment, and He is great enough to strengthen us for the challenges of a Down Syndrome child. And that is the most recent update.

No comments:

Post a Comment