Sunday, September 5, 2010

Call It Like You See It

Sometimes I marvel at the open observation skills of my two year old. Other times I simply tell myself she didn't mean it the way it sounded. In one of Lillian's favorite books there is a 'little nutbrown hare' telling 'big nutbrown hare' how much he loves him. We have taken to calling Lillian our little nutbrown hare and that has spun off a line of nicknames for the family. Wren is baby nutbrown hare, Paul is Daddy nutbrown hare and I had assumed I was Mama nutbrown hare. No, I am not. We were reviewing nicknames in the car with her, ie 'Lillian, who is Wren?' (bnbh), 'Who is Daddy?' (Dnbh). 'Lillian, Who is Mama?' to which she promptly responded with 'Mama Humpback Whale!'.

(I suppose such a comment wouldn't normally phase me. But seeing as how I'm still tossed at sea with swirling postpartum hormones, I found such a comment a teeny bit close to upsetting me. Maybe we're just raising a very honest child...)

1 comment:

  1. She's probably remembering how big you were before you had little Wren. :)

    ReplyDelete