Monday, December 21, 2009

Ham & Lentils...Tres Gomi Style

Yes, I finally had the inclination (and required leftover ham) to make Ruth's Ham & Lentils...or at least a resemblance of it. I find I'm not terribly in favor of following recipes in that either I am rather prideful in thinking I must certainly know a better way, or simply rebellious in that a recipe is not my dad and cannot tell me what to do. So, I decided to scrounge the fridge and freezer for ingredients that might make a decent imitation, if not replication, of Ruth's soup. I'm about to dig into my first bowl and it looks delicious. I used split peas and lentils, since I had leftover 1/2 bags of both, put a can of cream of celery in with two cartons of chicken broth instead of water and a ham bone. The other ingredient swaps are escaping me at the moment (since apparently, I am also of a mind to not write down my personal creations). I have also tried Jill's curry lentil soup but Paul has requested that I omit the curry from future attempts. So, lesson learned: lentils are delicious and agreeable when properly applied to soup. Second lesson learned: over-browned (usually called burnt in every kitchen but my own)cornbread makes an even better soup mix-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment