Friday, October 30, 2009

Pray Like A Potty-Trainer

Yes, it's true. My 16 month old -soon to be teenager- has begun showing major signs of 'potty-training readiness' and has thrown my simple life into a home-bodied, potty-bound version of a 'drop your diaper and sprint for the nearest toilet' sort of existence. It is consuming to say the least. Tumultuous to say more. We have been 'officially' potty-training for 3 days and I'm proud to say Lillian is showing incredible progress and I'm showing an even more remarkable reaction time to the word 'poopy'. It slightly belittles ones existence to realize life currently revolves around excrement, but I have surprisingly learned a fascinating lesson on prayer. And no, I don't mean 'Lord, please let us make it to the bathroom on time so I don't have to change my shirt again' sort of prayer.

Lesson #1: Be alert. Ephesians 6: 18 says, 'And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.' In my short career as a potty-training professional I have learned it is key to be alert. I have to look for signs, words, or traits in my little one's behavior that could elicit a mad-dash to the bathroom. It behooves me to be constantly aware and in a state of readiness. We are instructed in Ephesians to pray this way. We are to go beyond the questioning of a friend on how we can pray for them, and see, without their supplication, how we can intercede on their behalf before our Lord. LOOK for ways to meet their needs through prayer.

Lesson #2: Be constant. '...always keep on praying...'. The first day of potty-breaks every 15 minutes tries ones patience. But it pays off with wonderful rewards. The same follows for prayer. Having an intimate, constant connection with the One who designed, created, and sacrificed for you is an incredible gift and responsibility. But it ALWAYS pays off.

Lesson #3: Labor. In Colossians 4:12 Paul speaks of a man named Epaphras who 'always wrestled' in prayer so that the church of Colosse would be able to stand firm in the Lord. Potty Training has proved thus far to be a LOT of work. Carrying potty seats, wipes, hand disinfectant, and potty rewards around the house has proven to be less work than the entertaining, time spent on the bathroom floor, and 1/2 second dashes to a bathroom. It is a necessary work of time and patience that is for the benefit of my daughter (and my husband) that I am called to provide as the primary care-giver. We are the primary prayer-givers in our world; called and commanded to labor for our brothers, leaders, and the unsaved.

So, in final conclusion, and out of need to return my attention to the call of the wild in my daughter's case, I would encourage you all to Pray like a potty-trainer and be alert for opportunities to pray, to pray always for all people in all situations, and to labor in your prayers for others. Be blessed and well-trained!

No comments:

Post a Comment