Sunday, August 21, 2011

1 Year

 I'm hardly sure where to start. 1 year ago, after 7 'short' hours of labor, my sweet precious baby ClaraWren Hope was placed in my arms. She peered up at me with her quizzical eyes and all I could do was inspect her face the way she was mine. She came into this world much in the way she has taken on this past year, fast, on-purpose, without a skirmidgeoun of dilly-dally. She is loud, passionate, adventurous, loving, sensitive, energetic and playful. She wakes every morning without hesitation and belts out her rescue call, eats in a rush and quickly signs all done (arching her back if we delay too long), plays hard and finally sits on her bottom and cries mercilessly until she is put to bed. She doesn't shrink from any item blocking her path, but rather scales the mountain of legs or toys, and giggles when she crashes face first into the other side. When she is really, really hurt (not just upset hurt, or lonely hurt, or bored hurt, or any other reason she finds to hit her vocal high notes), she doesn't make a peep; crying so painfully hard she can't make a sound until she sucks in a gulp of air and we hear the not-so-little voice. We can gauge how badly the injury is by how long the pause lasts before the wail. Wren grins ear to ear with a crinkled nose whenever she is granted the slightest bit of attention. She loves an audience. I often spend a lot of time talking to strangers with the combo of Lillian, who is busy asking them their name, telling them hers and putting her number into their cell-phone so they can call her later, and Wren who charms by tossing her head back and laughing or coyly tilting her head into her shoulder and grinning widely. Wren will babble in an ultra-serious tone, and respond to my inquiries with a grim-lipped nod. She will say 'No!', Shake her head, and giggle at her Independence. She follows Mercy around the house, calling her by name and barking. She has discovered the wild joys of feeding unwanted food to household pets, and Mercy is wise to her game. She waits expectantly near the high chair until I step out of the room for a moment. I often return to Wren's outstretched hand and Mercy hurriedly gulping various finger foods. Wren turns and giggles at me. She has days when she will use every sign and word in her repertoire and others where the extent of language communication is pointing at desired objects; little tease. She loves to do whatever Lillian is doing and is most content when the girls play side by side. The other day they spent a good 30 minutes playing 'soup' and Lillian graciously provided pots, pans, spoons, and vegetables for both girls to play with. They took turns stirring their soup and giving each other bites. Who knew the depths of blessing these children would grant me?
Dearest Wren-Darling,
You are exquisite. I treasure and delight in the personality God has given you. You charm, cajole, sweet-talk and demand the world. Your smile turns the most stoic into mushy baby-lovers and you glory in every second you are afforded their time. You giggle and protest at the ready with the passion any stage production could use. I am so thankful for our time together. You bless and challenge my heart and I thank God daily for you and your sister. I pray that you would grow in wisdom and understanding and your passion would be for the things of God. You are fearfully and wonderfully made from your mo-hawk-poof hair, your sweet squeezable baby belly, down to your tickly little toes. I love to watch you enjoy your new adventures, study your sister ~ then mimic her, and see giant crocodile tears drip down your face at half a moments notice. You are my dear, sweet, sweetie-pie-fussy-Gus and I look forward to watching you grow.
You are a Treasure! Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment